Saturday, November 25, 2017

Matthew is 31

One of the best decisions in my life was to make the effort to be very much involved in my grandchildren's lives.  There was no question that I loved them unconditionally but I used to work part-time at Sears and that sort of interfered with my grandbaby time.  I remember the day a crazy lady threw a large catalogue at me (it missed) and I thought how stupid it was to waste my life on working for very little money when I could be using that precious time with my grandchildren.  So I quite work and began living my life better.

Matthew was hell on wheels.  He wasn't a bad kid but I've never seen a busier, wilder child in my life!  His impulse control was virtually non-existent but, with all that, he could brighten up a room just by walking into it.  He always had a big smile on his face and his beautiful red hair belied the fact that he was never an angry child with a temper.  He was such a happy little boy who always seemed to be in trouble for something, though!

I've always said that, if we didn't love him so much, we would have killed him.  We also said that no-one would ever kidnap him...they'd dump him within minutes.  In any case, he was ours and we loved him.

Matt has grown into the most caring young man, one who has the biggest, kindest heart of anyone else in the family.  With age, his impulse control is much better although he did go out and buy a beautiful car he can't afford.  He works hard every day and has chosen a lovely lady for his girlfriend.  Matt has come a long way from his wild and woolly youth.

Matt, I want you to know that, even though I joke about your crazy childhood, I have always loved you with all my heart and I always will.  You might have been our burden to bear but you've blossomed into a grandson I'm very proud to have.

Happy 31st, Matt!

No comments: