Monday, December 25, 2017

Merry Christmas Morning

Unless you have a few Santa believers with you on Christmas morning, it's not much fun.  I doubt even Nolan and Nash are still true believers and that's too bad.  It means we have to depend on the rest of the grandchildren to make some babies for us to have fun with on Christmas morning.  My first hope is Aeron and big Jake (as opposed to young Jake).  It would be as much fun watching Cindy with her first grandchild as it would watching the baby excitedly opening presents.

My good memories of Christmas mornings always come from watching my children and grandchildren being excited and innocent in their belief in Santa.  I loved those moments!  Children shaking with excitement as they opened presents, tossing clothes aside and diving back in to find more fun gifts.  I guess there's an element of greed here but I don't care.  I loved to make them happy.

The joy in giving rather than receiving is such a good feeling...to see happy smiles and sometimes even tears of joy on their little faces as they receive what to them is a treasure.  I've noted with my little ones that it was never the cost or value of the gift that mattered to them but that it was something they really wanted.

When my girls were young we couldn't afford expensive presents but that never mattered.  The pageantry of Christmas, Santa, the Christmas tree, family visits, and Christmas dinner was what we all loved.  I still do love all that but I'm missing the awe in the eyes of a little child.  Aeron and Jake are getting married next September so I'm hoping they provide us with a little one for Christmas 2019.  And Cindy will just have to learn to share! 

No comments: