Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Activities

We have a busy little park here in Florida with lots of activities going on, some interfering with others.  This morning I'm going over to the clubhouse to zigzag stitch some of my monks cloth so I'll have something to work with...I foolishly only brought down 2 small prepared pieces of cloth and they're done now.  I'm going over to Shelley's tomorrow so I can hot wash and dry the pieces I'm stitching today.  It all works out well.

But...there is an exercise class at 9 A.M. and I don't want to bother them with the hum of the sewing machine so I'll wait until the chair volleyball starts at 9:30.  They're so noisy and happy that they won't even hear the sewing machine.

Then people will be in the kitchen preparing the lunch so I'll ask them if me sewing will interfere with the lunch crowd.  I doubt it will because our clubhouse is pretty big and I can set myself up away from everyone else.

People who don't do Swedish weaving have no idea how time consuming it is...the fabric must be machine stitched on the ends to prevent ravelling when it's washed.  Then it needs to be washed and dried on hot to shrink the cotton cloth.  Then the design is worked in and that takes hours, days, and sometimes months.  When the design is finished, the ends are zigzag stitched again to accommodate the fringe.  Very time consuming but very satisfying to see the finished product which is always beautiful!

I borrowed the park's sewing machine and it's a newer one that isn't too heavy for me to lift.  The one Nancy lent me last week was an old metal one that was way too heavy for me to lift.

Well, that's the plan for the morning.

No comments: