Sunday, March 04, 2018

Ready for Home

While it's been a lovely winter here in the warmth with good friends and Shelley nearby, I've had an inner craving for home most of the time.  Don't get me wrong, I've had lots of fun but there has been this deep drive to be back home and I'm not positive why that is.  I'm not the only senior here who has noticed the difference in the park...many of our friends have passed away or chosen not to come back.  

We've all commented on how many strangers are in the park now and maybe that's to be expected but there is definitely a change that is hard to diagnose.  We had our Vegas Days yesterday and, while many came, not as many came.  We had the annual Turd Toss on Wednesday and many came...but not near as many came.  I'm sure the lots are full and the park population is just as high as ever but the social atmosphere is a tad lower than it used to be.

Since I wasn't here last winter, the change is probably magnified for me.  My coffee morning group has dropped from about 20 to 10 and they are still a joy to spend time with but we also speak about the ones who aren't here any more and that's sad.  Yes, time has changed our park and those of us who hate change are uneasy about it.

My first big disappointment came at Christmas dinner in the clubhouse when it failed to feel like a huge family get-together any more.  That's when I really started to ache for home.  I have to say that ache lessened somewhat over the winter as I got more involved with activities with friends but it never really went away.

Faye will arrive here on the 25th and stay with me until we head home on April 7th.  Having her here will be a comfort for sure.  I usually end Friday coffee mornings at the end of the month but the final Friday of March is Good Friday and I wondered if anyone would be interested in coming...they will and that means Faye gets to enjoy it with us.

I know I've been squawking about wanting to be home and how it's changed too much here at the park but the good friends still here mean a lot to me.  I miss every one of them when I'm back home and look forward to seeing them when I get back to Florida.  Now, if only every single one of them would make it back!

Old age can be a bitch!

No comments: