Friday, December 21, 2018

All In Perspective

We all seem to be complaining about something on Facebook but my niece, Tammy, posted some very interesting information the other day.  It showed that it costs each of us Canadians about $6 per year to support the refugees to our country.  I wonder how many Canadians would be upset about the refugees if they knew how little they're costing us.  I know there are more ramifications than the cost, such as cultural differences, but we sure can't complain about $6 per year!  I'm not naive enough to believe it's only $6, either, but I'll bet it's not much more.

Her post also showed that the natives cost each and every one of us over $200 per year and, when I questioned that, my grandson, Jake, informed me it's because there are many more natives than refugees.  I should think before I type.

We really do need to see posts like this every so often so that we can put our worries to rest.  Canada is a huge country with plenty of room for more citizens.  I've always maintained that the vast majority of refugees or immigrants are good people who want to work hard to support their families in a safer country than where they were born.  Too many people forget that our own ancestors were immigrants, too.

Trudeau has unnecessarily upset Canadians by allowing just too many refugees into the country at one time and we've seen what that has done to European countries.  Canada needs the immigrants because our birth rate is too low but we can't assimilate too many at once and that is where our complaints should lie.

And then there is the Trump wall.  It's going to cost Americans billions of dollars to build the damn thing and it will barely slow down illegal immigrants.  I laughed when I heard one resident say a 20' wall can be breached with a 21' ladder and the other day someone forewarned that desperate people could also dig under it to get into the States.  There is no doubt that illegals are a problem in the States but there has to be a better solution than a billion dollar wall.

I've also wondered what will happen to all those war torn countries the refugees have escaped from.  It looks on the news that so many have been reduced to rubble and unfit for anyone to live.  Who is going to rebuild what war has torn down?  It's going to be us and our tax dollars and the people who benefit will be business investors because the citizens who escaped will probably not want to go back.

Every time I see those blasted out countries, I wonder how any purpose could be important enough to destroy your own country.  I wonder about the citizens who didn't have the wherewithal to escape to a safer country and how devastating their lives have become.  I wonder about the beautiful old architecture that has been destroyed with bombs.  I wonder about how many people have been killed.  What I don't wonder about is why they've arrived at our door asking for shelter.     

No comments: