Monday, February 18, 2019

Personal Right To Demonstrate

This is an issue that drives me up the wall.  Yes, we do have and should have the right to demonstrate our grievances but there is a time and place for it and that isn't at your workplace unless you're on strike.  Don't expect to be paid while you're bitching about your personal grievances while you're supposed to be working.

The problem with our convoluted freedoms of civil rights is that some people believe that gives them the right to tromp all over the rights of others.  Case in point is the Westboro Baptist Church crazies who marched and screamed obscenities at the funerals of soldiers.  They couldn't be stopped by police because they have the right to demonstrate.  But what about the rights of the mourners at those funerals?  Where were their rights to the dignity they deserved?  I have never understood how the horrific disruption of a soldier's funeral could be tolerated and, worse still, legal.

Now, what if I have a business and one of my employees (while at work and being paid) sees fit to present his/her personal grievances in front of my customers and those acts insult and alienate many of them?  Should I have the right to fire them?  My grandson, Tyson, thinks not and I think that is idiocy.  Why should my employee have the right to destroy my business?  Why should my employee have the right to cause his/her fellow employees to lose their source of income when my business goes down the tubes?  To me, this is a no brainer.  Yes, we all have civil rights but doesn't that end where my rights begin?  Where are my rights??

This political correctness that has fallen upon us in recent years has made our society go haywire.  People demanding their rights even while they're taking mine away.  I don't know how much it costs to see an NFL game but it's a lot and I wouldn't want to pay that kind of money to watch the millionaire players protest their grievances on the field.  That is not the place to do so.

The civil rights of one person's protest can remove a Christmas tree from an airport where thousands of other people like to see it and enjoy it.  The civil rights of a small group of people protesting can remove and destroy military or political statues that thousands of others like to see to remember their history.  The civil rights of a murdering terrorist can bring him/her millions of dollars in compensation because they were treated harshly while imprisoned.  Again, where are my civil rights?

We have developed a society where even our politicians are suggesting giving a living wage to people who refuse to work.  Apparently that should be their right.  Where are the rights of the people who work 40-50 hours a week and are expected to help support that person who is able to but refuses to support themselves?

A few years ago city workers in my city were on strike and refused to allow anyone to enter government buildings.  How does their protest allow them to stop any citizen from entering a government building?  Well, they did and no cops were allowed to intervene.  Where were the rights of the people who weren't on strike?

I could go on and on but I think I've done enough ranting for one day.       

No comments: