Monday, March 11, 2019

Life

This is the last of my free days (Saturday, Sunday, Monday) where I don't do any socializing but just catch up on odd chores.  I had a nice leisurely morning playing on the computer and then decided to gather up a bunch of things to put in the car trunk to take home.  The phone rang when I came in and it was Shelley telling me that Cindy had fallen on the ice and broken her ankle...also thought wrist was broken but it wasn't.  All I could think of was that I wished I was home to help take care of her but knew Don would do a wonderful job.  We are blessed with darned good family!!

Shelley mentioned that if Cindy and Don couldn't get down here at the end of the month (something that never occurred to me) she would drive me home.  I'm thinking that, even if Cindy and Don are able to still fly down and have their vacation, it would be torture for Cindy to tolerate the long drive home so Shelley coming back with me will be a perfect solution.  Again, we are blessed with such a wonderful, thoughtful family.

Cindy is going to need surgery on the ankle right away because it is such a bad break so I'm worried about that.  I've never had a broken ankle but have heard how terribly painful it is.  I hope Cindy will take a good amount of time off work instead of pushing herself to go back too soon.  Bev, who had a badly broken ankle a few years ago, can give her some pointers.

One of a senior's biggest fears is falling on that damned ice in the winter.  Our bones break very easily and we can't really take care of ourselves while healing so we have to be dependent on someone to look after us.  I know how good Don will be looking after Cindy so that eases my mind.

Our family has had a few ups and downs this winter what with Cindy braking her ankle and Donna needing foot and heart surgery.  They say things happen in threes so I hope the rest of the family (including me) keeps out of trouble.

Update:  It turned out that both right ankle and right wrist are broken and both needed surgery which was done last evening.  All went better than expected according to the surgeon.  Cindy is such an active and busy person that I don't know how being incapacitated like this will affect her but I do know she'll work hard at any therapy that gets her back to normal.


No comments: