Friday, May 31, 2019

Danger in the Dominican Republic

This morning I reposted an article on Facebook regarding a brutal attack on a female visitor.  I strongly believe in issuing warnings about dangerous places where we might think we're completely safe but we're not.  My Cindy made a comment that no-one wants to see this on Facebook...she called me "mother" instead of "momma" so I knew she wasn't happy with me.

Personally, I don't like seeing all the political arguing on Facebook but I usually ignore it.  On the other hand, if passing on a warning of danger in any form upsets you, don't read my page!  A few of my own relatives have been vacationing in the DR recently and one even went off on her own for a while.  That was so terribly dangerous not only in the DR but pretty much anywhere these days.  I think tourists are an easy prey for these monsters because most can't stay away from home too long and criminal investigations and trials take a very long time if they're done at all.

There were complaints recently about people receiving amber alerts (missing children) on their cell phones in the middle of the night.  Big friggin' deal!  If that alert saves one child's life it's worth having your sleep disturbed for a moment.

I always think back to the case of a young woman who believed it was her right to be able to jog late at night but she ended up raped and murdered.  Yes, it is our right to be out in the dark and naked if that's what we want to do but that right doesn't stop the monsters from taking advantage of the dark and the seclusion of their prey.

And so this "mother" will always continue to post warnings when I think it just might save a life or injury to the unexpected victim.  Criminals look carefully for a vantage point where they can attack and they don't give a rat's behind about your right to be where you are.

No comments: