Monday, May 20, 2019

Guardian Angels

I have a guardian angel named Michael.  He's actually sexually ambiguous but does carry a male name so I refer to him as a he.  Describing him is odd because he resembles my cousin Ricky who committed suicide in his twenties but he's one cousin I was never close to.  Nevertheless, Michael has been my guardian angel for quite a long time..don't know where the heck he was when I stubbed/broke my toe last week!

We all need guardian angels and I know darned well I'm not the only one who has put myself in some very dangerous situations over the years but mainly when I was young.

When I was about 13 or 14 I decided it would fun to run away to Toronto.  This is why you don't allow children of that age to make important decisions!  I had no money or even a suitcase packed and had no idea how I'd support myself in Toronto of all places but I do remember thinking it sounded like fun.  I didn't want to go alone so I asked my girlfriend to go with me.  My guardian angel made her say no so I didn't go.

When I was even younger (8 or 9), one of my favorite pastimes was to play chicken with cars passing by.  It was fun until a lady driver stopped her car, got out and shook me in anger.  I never had any parental guidance so I was free to make all the stupid choices that I did.That lady probably saved my life but I think it might have been Michael in disguise.

In my early teens, my friends and I hitchhiked a lot.  We never were hurt but sometimes scared at how close we'd come.  We even got into a car with a drunk driver who ended up wiping out in a snow bank.  Teens really do need supervision instead of having to rely on their guardian angels!

I married very young at 17 to a good man who had many faults that I was positive I'd be able to change.  You are really, really dumb at 17!  It was meant to be, though, because we had 3 wonderful daughters who went forth and multiplied giving us 8 grandchildren and 2 greatgrandchildren.

Michael saved my life many times over the years but I still rely on my own instincts now that I'm grown up.  Micheal just hung in there to make sure I got the chance to grow up.

I'm joking about having a guardian angel, of course, but maybe not.  It's comforting to know someone has your back when your brain isn't taking care of you.  

No comments: