Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Pain After Root Canal

Whoever would have thought you could have any problem with your tooth after you've had a root canal?  I assumed that, since the root was now dead, that the real tooth was gone and only the space covered up with a crown, I had no further worries about that tooth.  Apparently not.

I've had 2 root canals and one of them has started hurting from pressure and from hot and cold.  It seemed to come on overnight and I did ignore it for a few days because I knew the real tooth was gone but the discomfort became too much and I knew it had to be checked on.

My dentist's appointment is later on this afternoon so I'll know more then but, thanks for the internet, I did some checking of my own.  Damned if a root canal can cause big trouble which results in removing the existing work and crown and having to repeat the whole process.  The cost is higher than what the original root canal cost.  No-one told me this or I would never have had the root canal done on this tooth (bottom back) in the first place!

Another strange thing is that there is also discomfort in the top back teeth.  Whatever is going on there is kind of scary because I've always been very thankful that I have good, strong teeth with no need for dentures.  Let's hope my luck in that area holds!

Update:  Good news!  The pain was coming from the tooth next to the root canal and just caused from sensitivity to heat and cold.  I'll have to be extra careful when eating cold food especially.

No comments: