Thursday, July 25, 2019

Family Reunion

This is going to be so much fun!  I love New Brunswick and know that it really should have been my birthplace...I wouldn't be surprised if I found out my "father" had been born there.

I'm almost packed.  We'll have a washer and dryer in our rental cottage so I don't have to go overboard with clothes.  I'm taking a small suitcase and a garment bag and that should do me just fine.

Cindy said they have a brunch planned for my birthday on Aug. 5 before everyone heads off to their travelling.  I'm staying on at the cottage for the week and Marilee is coming to stay with me.  Tyson will also be there most of the time, too.  Such a great family time!!

Our bunch all get back on the Friday and we'll be heading home in our respective vehicles, driving straight through.  I know it will be good to be back home in my own bed but I'm going to miss N.B.  Dennis' family there has always made me feel as though I'm a part of their family so I never feel like an outsider.  

There will be family from the States, too, all coming together to celebrate their connection to the Neilson clan (Ferne is one of the daughters).  I'm not sure who is left of that original family but they sure were prolific to have progeny coming from all over Canada and the States.  The Neilsons were originally from Denmark and came through the States to settle in New Denmark, New Brunswick about 100 years ago.  They took rocky, barren land and turned it into the most beautiful farmland possible.  It's a little too far north for a day trip, though, but I'm hoping one day Nick will see that the little boys get to visit the New Denmark museum and see their heritage.

Maybe these family reunions thrill me so much because I have so little family background myself.  It's nice to be connected even if it is by marriage to such a wonderful group of people.

No comments: