Sunday, April 26, 2020

Like Getting Our of Jail

Since March 19th, I've made one little trip to the drugstore and kept myself isolated in my little apartment for the rest of the time.  Yesterday was a glorious, sunny but cool, day and I decided to go for a nice long drive.  Now, "long" for me means maybe 2 hours because I'll need to pee and there's nowhere outside of home for me to do that.

I took my face mask just in case there was a little outdoor market I could stop at but there was nothing open.  I'm lucky enough to love in an area where you can drive half an hour and hit farming areas where lots of outdoor markets can be found but not today.

Anyway, I enjoyed the drive and then made the decision to go to a grocery store if I could find one with little or no line-ups outside.  I ended up at my regular grocery store and saw NO line-up but, by the time I got parked, there was a short one.  No problem.  After not much of a wait, I was inside the grocery store and I couldn't believe how good that made me feel.  The choices in front of me were mind boggling.  I'd kept my lists short when my daughters were shopping for me but now I could buy like a bandit!

I ended up getting $100 worth of groceries...much more than my usual but I think I went a little overboard with my enthusiasm.  My problem with giving my daughters short lists is that I'd forget some little thing needed for one of my recipes.  I had hamburger, rice, onions, and seasoning back home for a hamburger soup but no carrots or cabbage.  Now I do and that's what I'm making today.

I'm used to grocery shopping every few days just for a few things at a time but it's a little too unsafe to do that now so I'll shop once a week.  I know it's slightly unsafe but the good it does for my mental well being is worth it to me.

I noticed about half the people I saw were wearing masks and that saddens me.  It's a reminder that our world has changed drastically.  I also noticed that the store clerks weren't wearing masks and I would have felt more comfortable if they had.  The masks aren't comfortable and definitely inhibit your breathing so I can see why no-one would want to wear one all day long.  Just think of the medical people who have no choice.

And so, today, I feel more like my old self after just having done a bit of grocery shopping, and that's got to be worth something

No comments: