Thursday, April 02, 2020

Quarantine Day 14

It's brought home to me every single day how the things we in our pampered society have become so used to are no longer easily available to us.  Today I tried to make an appointment with a podiatrist right near me and found out the office is closed.  Only a few medical facilities are open for emergencies and I did find one not too far from me.  I'll see them on April 15th...they require patients who have been back in Canada for at least 21 days.

My problem is that I always have terrible callouses on my feet and that's why I rely on pedicures...I know, diabetics shouldn't get pedicures.  The last one I got was about 1 1/2 months ago in Florida and it was not a decent job so my feet are pretty bad.  A couple of days ago I was shocked to see part of the callous coming apart from my foot.  It wasn't bleeding but I'd never seen anything like that before.  I immediately put antibiotic on and bandaids.  I don't want to do anything that might open up a sore on my foot.  I learned that sad story when Donna (also diabetic) had a sore on her foot that just kept getting bigger until she had to have her foot and part of her leg amputated.  

The people I spoke to this morning...podiatrist, clerks, Ontario Society of Chiropodists...were amazing nice and very willing to help me find a clinic that was still open.  If this virus is instrumental in bringing more kindness and co-operation out in people, then maybe that's the good that will come from it.

I'm in my final day of self quarantine and it honestly hasn't been so bad.  I have a sweet little apartment, crafts to work on, and daughters who bring me groceries.  Let us all be thankful for the blessings in our lives.

No comments: