Tuesday, May 12, 2020

I Saw Jackson

There are quite a few momentous moments in our lives, too many to count, but one of mine was seeing my greatgrandson, Jackson, for the first time in real life.  I couldn't get close to him or touch him because of the restrictions of the virus but it was such a great pleasure to just look at him in wonder.  He is beautiful, of course, but I saw much more than that.  I saw a perfect and healthy baby boy whose eyes wandered the room (it was the garage), not at random, but making choices to stare at things and try to figure them out.  I saw great intelligence in those less than 3 month old eyes and that gave me comfort.  I also saw, as I have in photos, how much he looks like his Uncle Kyle and that made me feel good to see the genes have jumped to the next generation.

I also watched how his father, Jake, handled him with love, care, and confidence.  You would have thought this was his 5th child instead of his first.  Aeron was ever attentive but very willing to allow the family to hold him if they wore a surgical mask.  I couldn't do it because I'm too filled with fear of infecting him.  I don't have the virus but who knows.  It's something I chose to do without as long as I could still stare at his beautiful face.

I'm feeling terribly old these days and I know why.  The mirror should have made me feel that way a long time ago but it's been this damned virus threatening me and my generation that has finally beaten me down.  I catch everything going around and that makes me feel vulnerable.  I might be carrying antibodies but I might not be and that's a good reason to have it checked with a blood test when one is available.

Years ago, parents used to have measles parties where they would take their young children and expose them to another child with measles.  The idea was that they only needed to have measles once and then they'd carry the antibodies for the rest of their lives.  Measles isn't too bad on children but much more dangerous if an adult gets it.  At least that's what I heard.

It would be a gift from heaven if anyone who got COVID-19 became immune to it for the rest of their lives.  Not only would this protect them but also everyone they came in contact with.

We really need a vaccine to combat this horrible virus and I know in my heart that we won't be too long getting one.  Something else infectious will come along to take it's place but hopefully it won't be as deadly.

Well, my plans are to stay home until a vaccine is available.  No Florida for sure.  Even when they get the vaccine, I'll want to know that the cases of people infected have dwindled to near zero before I even think about getting on a plane.  Again, I'm feeling ridiculously vulnerable and filled with too much uncertainty.  I want my life back.  

No comments: