Sunday, July 19, 2020

Talked to Myself

Okay, I'm calmer today.  I just needed time to sort things out in my mind and realize that we're never going to find anyone with the exact same beliefs and values that we have.  I knew that but I needed to be reminded (by myself) that it's not the end of the world when your loved ones disappoint you.  They have a right to their beliefs just as you have a right to yours.  It just scared me for a moment.

My response was to stop talking politics to those whose own politics were alien to mine.  I did this with my dear American friends who love Trump.  We don't discuss politics because one or both of us will get mad and that's unnecessary.  Now the Black Lives matter issue won't be discussed between me and the people who believe in them.  This is something I can live with because fighting over the issue is not an option for me.  

One of my family members said I should stop posting my personal beliefs because they cause friction.  That is also not an option for me because I believe in free speech and, if you let the bad guys (my opinion only) scare you into shutting up, you have lost your right to free speech.  

I love my family and good friends unconditionally and I will never let a difference in political affiliation change that.  We just won't discuss politics.  

No comments: