Monday, September 21, 2020

Did My Best

Like most mothers, I felt I'd done my best to raise my children.  I wasn't perfect by any means, living with depression for a lot of those child raising years but still trying for some semblance of normality, pretending all was okay when I was dying inside but that's what mothers do.  Children don't always see it that way, though.  Sometimes they become critical of us and we have no idea why...but it's usually a combination of the past and present relationship.

Maybe I've become more stubborn in asserting myself and my opinions because I feel free to do so now.  My family would prefer I keep my opinions to myself but I would never put restrictions like that on them.  I very deeply believe in free speech and, if you don't agree with someone, don't disparage their beliefs.  At least half the world will not agree with your opinion on any subject.

There are lines you just don't cross in any relationship, though.  I'm not religious but I would never insult someone who is for believing as they do.  And I would expect the same kind of respect for my personal beliefs in return.  That's being civilized.  The big problem with speaking out of anger is that often there is no turning back.  Connections become broken so easily over cruel words.  Better to bite your tongue and walk away than to make matters worse by trying to explain yourself.

I can look back on my life and feel fairly good about how I've coped.  Yes, I see the mistakes I made and no, none of them were evil.  Like most of us, I've done the best I could and that's all I could do.  


No comments: